The Waterloo Siskins came into the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex Sunday winning the first game of the Sutherland Cup semi-final series on the road in Niagara Falls 4-2 Friday night. Waterloo spotted the Niagara Falls Canucks a 3-0 lead before staging a comeback that Waterloo fans have seen many times before through this season.

Niagara Falls appeared to be a totally different team on Sunday right out of the gate. Niagara forwards generated several scoring chances before drawing first blood at the 16:21 mark of the opening frame. Both teams failed on their one power play opportunity. Shots in the first period ended 11-8 in favor of Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls struck twice early in the second frame scoring at the 1:47 and 2:02 mark. JEFF SCHRATTNER broke the ice for Waterloo exactly one minute later “sniping” a hard low shot from about 40 feet away that eluded the Canucks goalie on the stick side. Waterloo struck again when SAM CHERRY stripped a puck away from Niagara Falls defenseman who was trying to skate the puck out of the zone and found OWEN LANE all alone in the slot with time on his hands. OWEN froze the Niagara goaltender before scoring along the ice. Niagara Falls scored a power play marker at the 14:44 mark of the period while BRETT SCHAEFER was serving a two minute minor for goalie interference. Waterloo rounded out the period’s scoring at 16:09 of the third period on a nice passing play that culminated in a goal by BENTON HAYES beating Zach Moore high to the glove side. The Shots in the period were 11-10 in favor of Niagara Falls.

Waterloo came out of the tunnel in the third period like a team possessed. Waterloo tied the scoring at 1:15 of the period taking advantage of a bad Niagara Falls line change. ALEX LYCETT fired a rebound from a CURTIS RAWN shot in the top glove side corner making the score 4-4 (See Photo #1 of the Apr 14, 2019 Album). ALEX LYCETT scored what would end up being the winning goal 8 seconds later converting a pass from SAM SPAEDT with a rocket off the post and in-again, low to the glove side of Zach Moore (See Photo #2 of the Apr 14, 2019 Album). Waterloo got the insurance marker at the 13:33 mark of the period again capitalizing on some great line chemistry. BENTON HAYES feathered a pass to OWEN LANE putting OWEN in all alone on ZACH MOORE-again. Moore made a good initial save but the rebound squirted out to SAM CHERRY who buried a shot into a gaping cage (See Photo #3 of the Apr 14, 2019 Album). Waterloo outshot Niagara Falls 13-11 in the third period. Niagara Falls went 1 for 6 on the power play while Waterloo was 0-5. Waterloo is now 1 for 13 in the series with the man advantage.

1,538 fans were entertained with an exciting and spirited game Sunday afternoon.

Next game in the series is Tuesday night in “the Falls” with GAME 4 SCHEDULED FOR 7:30 PM on THURSDAY (April 18th) at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex.